New System - To apply for Free School Meals at Barnsley Academy you must now use the local authority application form here: application for free school meals.
What happens next
When Barnsley Council receive and process your application, they’ll write to you to confirm your entitlement. They will send a copy of the letter to your child’s school.
Free school meals
Your child will qualify for free school meals if they're in full-time education and you receive one of the following benefits:
- income support
- income based job seekers allowance
- income related employment and support allowance
- guarantee element of state pension credit
- child tax credit with no working tax credit and have an income as assessed by the Inland Revenue that does not exceed £16,190 (subject to change annually)
- support under Part 1V of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
- universal credit
Children who receive a qualifying benefit in their own right are also entitled to receive free school meals.
If you have a child starting school and they have a brother or sister attending the same school who already receives free school meals, you don't need to apply. Your child will automatically be given free school meals.
Your child won’t qualify for free school meals if you're receiving working tax credits and disabled working tax credits.