01226 284 606

I know I can

"I know I can" is a concept for young people to help fulfil their potential.  Through its dedicated website it aims to build confidence, help young people to create their own dreams and aspirations; raise qualification levels; strengthen life skills; use help and support; take ownership and develop a real "I Know I Can" attitude


  • Bullying UK
    This site is part of Family Lives a national charity providing help and support in all aspects of family life.
  • Kidscape
    Examines bullying as a form of child abuse and gives useful links to other relevant sites 
  • Anti-Bullying Alliance A coalition of organisations and individuals who work together to stop bullying and create safe environments

Depressed or having negative thoughts

A new charity MindFull, has been launched by the team behind BeatBullying to give 11 to 17 year olds immediate access to free online professional counselling support and advice.

Child abuse

  • Childline
    Call 0800 1111 Provides a free telephone counselling service for young people in trouble or danger

Drugs and alcohol

    A website for young people providing free, confidential drugs information and advice 24 hours a day
  • Young Addaction Barnsley  provides a range of services specifically for under 18's, including advice and information and a needle exchange programme

Guns and knife crime or victim of crime

Physical, mental and sexual health

Self harm

Self-Harm Awareness Day aims to bust myths around self-harm. More information is available on the self harm website  for young people that provides support and information about recovery from about self-harming

Young carers

Are you a young carer?  This leaflet and referral form offer advice and support

Being in care

  • Guide to your Looked after Children Review  This leaflet can be printed - To print in the form of a booklet you need to choose the option in Printer Properties - "2 sided print - flip on short edge"
  • Who Cares? Trust
    Online information system specially designed for children and young people who are separated from their families and living in residential or foster care
  • Carelaw
    Information for children and young people in care on education, health and religion, as well as changing your name and leaving care.
  • Rights 4 Me Is the official website for the Office for the Children's Rights Director for England who has istened to what children and young people who live away from home have to say about how they are looked after. If you live away from home then this is the place to find out about your RIGHTS and a way for you to BE HEARD

Private fostering

Are you living with someone who is not your immediate family?  Will this be for more than 27 days?  If so this is called a private fostering arrangment and it is important that the council knows about this to make sure that your home is safe and meeting your needs.  This leaflet gives more information.

©2017 Barnsley Academy

Barnsley Academy is part of United Learning. United Learning comprises: UCST (Registered in England No: 2780748. Charity No. 1016538) and ULT (Registered in England No. 4439859. An Exempt Charity). Companies limited by guarantee. VAT number 834 8515 12.
Registered address: United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough, PE3 6SB. Tel: 01832 864 444
Freedom of Information and Financial Accountability  | Terms, Cookies and Privacy

United Learning