Arrival at school Punctuality is an important life skill and we will do all we can to teach all students the importance of arriving on time and being prepared.
• Students are expected to arrive at the Academy at 08.15am at the latest. This is when the whistle is blown giving all students 5 minutes to get to their form rooms and prepare for form time.
• We provide a free breakfast for all our students starting at 8.00am until 08.10am to encourage them to arrive ‘earlier’ and spend time settling themselves and preparing themselves for the school day.
• Any student who arrives in the Academy after 08.20am (by the official attendance clock) will receive an automatic 25-minute correction the same day. The correction will take place in the main hall and will be led by the Senior Leadership Team. It is expected that all students with a ‘late’ detention will take themselves to the main hall at the end of the day and successfully complete their detention.
24 hours’ notice of a correction is no longer required. ‘Schools don’t have to give parents notice of after school detentions or tell them why a detention has been given’ (https://www.gov.uk/academydisciplineexclusions) However as an Academy, we will inform parents via Arbor of Corrections set after school. The purpose of Corrections is to improve behaviours and act as a deterrent for future misbehaviour.
Parental permission is also not required provided that staff have considered:
- The welfare of the child.
- Whether the child has caring responsibilities,
- Whether parents should be informed of the correction, any travel arrangements.
Inconvenience to the parents does not matter if the child has a means to get home safely. The Academy sets corrections for certain misconducts or poor behaviour choices.