Key stage 3
What will my child learn?
Year 7 Topics
- Microsoft Project – this is a themed project which allows students to explore their own use of digital literacy and also creativity using computer packages such as use Microsoft Office Publisher, Word & Adobe Fireworks.
- Hardware and Software – students will learn all about how a computer operates. They will learn about the components that are found in a computer and will explore the different pieces of software that we can use.
- Scratch – students will learn how to make a short program in Scratch. They will learn the steps required to make an animated program.
- Binary – working in tandem with the Maths department, students will learn about converting binary to denary and then move on to ASCII and image representation.
- Microbit programming – students will each have their own Microbit that they will program the device to do numerous things including creating images and a magic 8 ball.
Year 8 Topics
- Microsoft Project - This thematic project builds on skills learnt in Year 7. Students will use more advances options available in Publisher, Access and Adobe Fireworks.
- Text based game – Students will build on the programming skills they have learnt in Year 7. They will use their programming skills to create a text based game based on a given topic.
- E-Safety – Students will learn all elements about staying safe online. The Academy uses information received from CEOP to facilitate these lessons. This broadens their understanding of being safe that interlinks with PHSE.
- Game Maker – Students use this platform to create a multi-level game. They will use their understanding of programming to enable them to produce a game that fits the project brief. Students will also use their creative side to create the characters for this game.
Year 9 Topics
- Microsoft Project – Students will complete an independent project honing the skills they have learnt over the last two years. This project enables them to touch on the skills required for GCSE and to enable a seamless transition.
- Python – Students will learn how to code using Python, having briefly touched on this in Year 7. Students will learn how coding works and will create their own programs.
- Multimedia – Students will learn how to create multimedia products, webpages and animations to suit a project brief. They will learn how to use Adobe Creative Suite.
How will my child be assessed?
Assessments are carried out every half term to check student progress. The assessment are made up of mixture of the practical and theory to ensure students can both apply their learning and show their full understanding in exam style questions.
What type of homework will be set?
Homework is linked to the topics students are currently studying or to help recap previous learning.
How can I support my child’s learning at home?
Access to a computer and the internet is useful, but not essential. As students are able to access Office 365 at home and use Microsoft packages such as Word, PowerPoint and Excel.