BARNSLEY ACADEMY GOES GREEN FOR ROCK CHALLENGE 2019
12th March 2019
Barnsley Academy turned to environmental issues as inspiration for its entry in to this year’s Rock Challenge competition.
And the school saw its piece, entitled ‘Hexxus,’ take second place and seven excellence awards in the regional finals of the national competition.
‘Rock Challenge’ itself is led by the Be Your Best Foundation, using the performing arts to help promote healthy life choices, with this year’s regional final taking place at Production Park, Wakefield on Saturday (9th March).
For the Barnsley Academy team, months of preparation paid off, with them taking second place in the competition, as well as receiving the following awards:
• Efficiency North Award of Excellence for Stage Use
• Production Park Award of Excellence for Stage Crew
• Rock Clothing Award of Excellence for Entertainment
• Henry Smith Foundation Award of Excellence for Costuming Characters
• Yorkshire Builders Federation Award of Excellence for Performance Skills
• Yorkshire Builders Federation Award of Excellence for Soundtrack
• SecuriGroup Award of Excellence for Visual Enhancement
The academy’s entry, ‘Hexxus,’ shone the spotlight on pollution, deforestation and the impact our choices have on the natural world.
Work on the production began in October, initially with a small group of students helping to shape and develop the piece, before teaching the choreography to the rest of the cast.
Commenting on the result, Barnsley Academy Principal Mr Stephen Dixon said:
“Initiatives such as Rock Challenge form an important part of our commitment to provide our students with an Education with Character - an education which introduces them to new experiences, helping to broaden their horizons. Once again, months of hard work and preparation have paid off, with the academy taking second place in the regional finals – a huge congratulations and well done to all those involved.”
For further information about this press release, please contact Nigel Barber on 07590 806 143.